Tuesday 8 March 2016

Newcastle-upon-Tyne Quayside, March 2016 - Revitalisation and the ghosts of the past

I guess that to many people arrival by train in Newcastle from the south is first heralded by catching sight of Antony Gormley’s ‘Angel of the North’ sculpture on a hillside to the east of the track.  To me the crucial entry point is further on: when the train edges its way onto the King Edward Bridge and the vista opens up of the Tyne gorge with its five further magnificent and distinctive bridges to the right, and the skyline of the city – the castle, the cathedral with its (for England) unusual ‘lantern spire’, a number of other churches, the cupola on top of the civic centre, and a number of distinguished commercial and public buildings from Newcastle’s golden age.  (I shall gloss over the way that St James’s Park, the ground of Newcastle United, looms threateningly over part of the city centre in this view from the bridge. Perhaps it’s only fitting that it should do so in a city that is as football mad as Newcastle.)

There is another, personal, reason why to me the King Edward Bridge is such a fitting entry point.  Whilst helping to build it, my grandfather lost all the fingers on his left hand when a girder crashed down on them.  Every time I cross it I remember the way he held a fork between his thumb and the stumps, and how my grandmother helped him with buttons.  She knew what she was taking on – they were married in 1907, the year after the bridge was finished.

Newcastle is a proud city, and I am proud of my connections to it, through my mother.  She was born in a little rented house on the Scotswood Road (a thoroughfare immortalised in the song ‘The Blaydon Races’) and moved with her parents and five siblings, when she was about 10, to a new council house to the east of the city centre.  Her generation have all died, and their offspring have dispersed, but I have just had lunch with two of my cousins.

I have been staying, as I often do in Newcastle, in a hotel on the quayside – in a building of some architectural importance built of ferro-concrete, originally as a warehouse for the ‘Co-operative Wholesale Society’  and dating from a year or two before the King Edward Bridge.  It stands next to what was once a wharf where ships unloaded produce that would make its way into Co-op shops all over the country.  The ships are now gone, and the building is a hotel, but the name of its first owner cannot be eradicated since it was built into the stonework.

None of my relatives was a miner (although one branch of the family were coal merchants) but my grandfather, his sons and several of their male offspring all worked in ship-building, in heavy engineering or in the metal industries.  Most of those occupations have now gone.  And it’s along the Newcastle quayside that some of the most profound changes have taken place.  I was often taken there as a child – to see the ships unload, to watch the swing bridge rotate for a sea-going vessel to pass, to be part of the bustle of a working port with stacks of wood being swung onto boats, sacks of grain coming back the other way, and noise everywhere.  One day after my grandfather retired, and already suffering the severe bronchitis that his outdoor working environment had left him with, he took me for a walk down the Ouseburn valley, still with small factories belching  noxious smoke, and then along the quay.  And I remember the pride I felt in him when many of the stevedores and quay workers greeted him with a ‘Haway Charlie’ and doffed their caps to him (he had retired as an ‘Inspector of Rivets’ from Swan Hunters, the shipbuilders, a step up from an ordinary riveter).  He introduced me as ‘the little fella’  (I’m not sure he could ever remember my name, but I was the youngest of his seven grandchildren.)

I took the same walk this morning, along the quayside and up the path along the Ouseburn.  The past of the whole area has not been forgotten.  Indeed, various authorities have provided a fuller set than I recall seeing anywhere else of monuments, street signs and explanatory boards to record the historical and ordinary sites of the area.  And some of the newly commissioned monuments are thoughtful pieces of work, begging for a moment’s reflection on what used to be hereabouts.  But with the exception of the hotel I have been staying in, the old warehouses have all gone.  Only the names of some of the new office and apartment blocks (for example ‘Rotterdam House’) are reminders of the web of global connections of the old port.  I asked a taxi driver if ‘Paddy’s Market’ still takes place on the quayside every Sunday morning – my grandmother (a strict Methodist) could never bring herself to go shopping there on the Sabbath, but it had a fine reputation for second hand clothing and other hand-me-downs.  But now it is the ‘Quayside Market’ with a range of produce for discerning contemporary middle-class customers.

The Newcastle Quayside has seen the full process of deindustrialisation, the death of the port, dereliction of the original properties, modern planning, office development, gentrification and what is sometimes called, in a rather ugly word, ‘leisurefication.’  It has passed through a phase as an eyesore and become a revitalised modern urban landscape.  But it no longer produces anything, or moves goods around.  It is a microcosm of changes that have occurred throughout industrial and port cities around the United Kingdom – and to my mind the transformation has been handled more imaginatively here than in a number of other places.

I wonder what my grandfather would make of it all?  He died, of chronic bronchitis, exactly 50 years ago, at about the time when the process of change was just starting.  One thing I think he’d notice.  Gone are those Geordie accents of the stevedores and dockers of the past.  On my quayside walk early this morning I passed innumerable joggers, chatting to each other as they pounded the new cobbles of the quay outside the apartments they own.  Not one of them had any of the traditional intonation of Geordie speech patterns in their voice – I guess most of them were from elsewhere in the country, and probably with middle class occupations to go to on Monday morning.   And so I wonder to what extent the working-class population of Newcastle benefits from the new Quayside?



No comments:

Post a Comment